Friday 5 April 2013

Citrus

I am partial to citrus scents.  I love Earl Grey and Lady Grey teas, most marmalades and happily sniff lemons, oranges and grapefruits at every opportunity.

During a busy workday, I sip Magnolia's Yuzu juice drink taken warm.  It calms my stomach and makes me dream of yuzu baths in a Japanese onsen.  Ah......

On my way down the escalator in my workplace, I bumped into an old colleague and we chatted about our lives, work... somehow the conversation turned to bergamot and what exactly it is.  Neither of us knew.... The short chat made me curious enough to google and wiki for more information on bergamot.  I learnt that

  • Bergamot essential oil is extracted from the rind of a Bergamot orange, grown commercially in Italy. 
  • The Bergamot orange is supposed to be intensely aromatic and juicy with a flavour that is slightly bitter, bracingly sour, and floral.  The fruit itself is not generally considered to be edible...  Cultivated more for the scent than the taste.
  • Earl Grey tea was named after Lord Charles Grey, British Prime Minister in the 1930s
You never know where a question leads you to. 
Back to work then :)

No comments:

Post a Comment