Wednesday 3 April 2013

A Room of My Own

The first thing that came to mind, and popped out of my mouth, when answering Medium Boy’s question of why do I go to work was…. Money.  That is true, but not entirely true.

Dear Son.  Work is my unique contribution to making the world a more orderly place.  It is a room of my own (in Virginia Woolf’s elegant phrase), where I am free to be me. Fully and wholly myself.  Money is one part of the equation that gives me the space and time to be fully and wholly myself.
I have not figured out the other parts of time and space yet.... I will let you know when I get to it!

PS.  The answer is 42 (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).  I love you.  Your geeky mom.

1 comment:

  1. It's very true. I do feel the same, more so now that I am a mother. At work, I do what I am a different me to at home. And I like that different me as well, hence work is important.

    ReplyDelete