Thursday 25 April 2013

Curation

When I think of a curator, the first mental image that pops into my mind is of a person working in a museum selecting which art pieces to display for an art exhibition. 
However curating is not just for museum folks, but for every one of us who has had to generate content (mostly for learning purposes in the corporate space) and then construct a coherent story.

Over the past week, I worked with the planners to generate the content.  The sequence of events is akin to journalism, a profession which I briefly flirted with in JC and in university in my extra-curricular activities.  You trawl the facts, carry out the interviews then tell the story, doing your best to write one coherent narrative that hangs together in a logical, easy-to-follow way about the subject.

In my new job now, I am a little nervous.  The planners know much more about the individual elements of the subject matter than I do.  That's where the collaboration comes in; that's how the community functions; that's how I learn.  My role in MI is to present the story.  Theirs is to engage with it, contribute, challenge, reflect and strengthen it.  Together, we create a joint record of the learning.

Curation is about taking often disparate elements and then weaving it into a coherent whole.  I cannot throw everything in, there is a need to be selective.  One of the most useful parts of the whole exercise is spotting the gaps in my work, the places where my thoughts are incomplete, weak, or missing entirely.  The GM rewrote my first narrative that I created on Wednesday.  Took some pieces out.  Summarised and chopped out excess words.  The final version was much more concise, and managed to cover the parts of the sotry that I missed out completely.

All valuable for developing my business partnering skills.  All valuable for learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment