Wednesday 21 November 2012

Mr Bach

I appreciate music and prose that is orderly.  Mr Bach (I call him that in my mind as if he is my favourite uncle) wrote music that comprise of variations on a theme.  Using a 4 note base, he is able to craft a concise elegant piece that may be played backwards, forwards, upside down... and all of that makes for good music that is easy on the ear.  His technical expertise wows.

I remember starting with Bach’s The Well Tempered Clavier Prelude in C Major (youtube video here) when I was 8 or 9 years old, and working my way through the 48 pieces.  Simply because I loved his music… and I enjoyed making music together with Mr Bach.

Bach's fugues and preludes typically span 4-7 minutes when played.  They are akin to appetizers presented with elegance and depth, and what depth they provide when I start to pull them apart to discover the rules behind.  Listening to Bach music is pleasant... they are not the airy and frothy confections of Mozart desserts.  I love desserts, but eating too many desserts make me sick in the stomach.  Bach’s tapas suit me just fine.

In Bach’s world, music is like mathematics.  There are rules around harmonics (segueing between different sounds) that he adheres to, and then adds his own seemingly exhaustive variations on the rules such that each prelude and fugue is a beautiful bonsai (miniature Japanese garden).  Perhaps I like Mr Bach because I like the simplicity of mathematical building blocks.  Everything may be derived from first principles and that is perfect for me… I do not have to memorise much!  I am lazy that way…

Watching the Piano Guys perform gave me a new reason to exercise my fingers on the keyboard again.    

I am teaching Medium Boy and Small Boy how to recognize the keys on the piano, so that should give me more reason to pick up piano playing again.  Their most requested song is currently “Happy Birthday” J

No comments:

Post a Comment