Thursday 25 October 2012

Complete reponsibility for another human being

I met up with an old friend and now financial advisor D today, partly to catch up and partly to rebalance my portfolio.  He is childless by choice and intends never to have children.  Other than choosing a life partner, I cannot think of any other decision that will have such a great impact on a person's overall life satisfaction and happiness... can you think of any?

Raising Medium Boy and Small Boy is a lot of work, and they sometimes drive me up the wall.  However, it takes just one hug, one kiss from either of them to make my day.  The evenings reading with them in my lap, those are the best part of my day.  Yes I tell them that too.

Dictionary.com defines happiness as the quailty and state of being happy.... *frown* so I just had to look up how 'happy' is defined.  The first definition of happy is "delighted, pleased, or glad, as over a particular thing".
Contentment on the other hand is "a peaceful state of happiness in which one rests without desires, even though every wish may not have been gratified".

D, I pray for you that you will be content with your decision in 30 years' time.  Your financial portfolio would definitely be bigger than mine then... but as Morrie says in "Tuesdays with Morrie" - "There is no experience like having children...If you want the experience of having complete responsibility for another human being, and to learn to love and bond in the deepest way, then you should have children."

Oh I so want to hug my Medium Boy and Small Boy now!  In the middle of the work day....

No comments:

Post a Comment