Friday 19 October 2012

Development Week

The Company had set aside this week as Staff Development Week.  Singapore HR organised a series of workshops this week in the local office premises that were about the new leadership attributes, and how development is really self directed.

The Company is one of the best to work for.  Yes it is big and there are many hoops to jump through to get things done, so much that I occasionally have in mind a performing seal at the circus.  Yes there are good and bad line supervisors to work for.  I keep in touch with the good ones (HL, P, J and H) and try to stay away from the bad.  All in all, this Company is waaaay better than the previous one.

This week I presented Steven Covey's first habit of highly effective people: Be proactive.  The takeaway for me is the pause between a stimulus and my response.  SY feedback to me yesterday that I would need to exercise restraint should I choose to work with C.  To be clear of the consequences of my choice.  I am impatient by nature plus I detest inconsistencies in people I work with.  P and J were vastly different personailities.  One was a brash salesman born and bred with many stories to tell and a will to close the deal.  But oh the important toes he stepped on sometimes.... The other carried the day by using charm.  He was impossible to dislike even when one disagreed with him!!

Back to working with C.  SY cautioned me to tone down my strong personality as C's personality is not as strong.  I need to really keep my mouth shut.  This will be a lateral move, not a promotion.  My choice, my consequences.  Need to rebuild the foundation of my family, badly shaken from April to June this year.  So the less brain space I need to exert at work, the better.

I need to catch hold of my boss soon to make changes to my development plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment