Monday 29 October 2012

Teachable moment flashed by

I was in a hurry this morning to get Medium Boy to school.  As we exited the flyover to connect to the expressway, a black Mercedes overtook me on the right on a one lane road.  The very same Merc was stuck in front of me later in the traffic snarl... The driver, a 40something Chinese man, signalled left but was blocking my lane as he determined how best to get a car length ahead.

Miffed by the earlier overtaking (which I considered dangerous), I honked at him.  He moved into the left lane, and I passed him.  End of story.... Meanwhile, the wheels in the 4 year old's mind were turning...... all of a sudden, I heard a voice from the left passenger seat.

Medium Boy: Mama, why did you honk?  He was only queueing correct.  Everyone needs to queue.
Mama: (so surprised at his insight that I cannot remember what I responded, something inconsequential I believe)

Later on, I related this incident to the Husband.  The Husband is quicker of mind than I am in such circumstances.... If that had happened when the Husband and Medium Boy were in the car together, the Husband said, the Husband would have told MB that indeed the Merc was just queueing, but it was not safe for the Merc to overtake us just now on a one lane road, Papa is worried about everyone's safety, hence the honking.

Teachable moments really pass us by.  I shall be more alert next time.
My only excuse is that 3 days of being alone with a napless Medium Boy over the long weekend has addled my brain.  Time for a quick snooze then... hehe.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for dropping by my blog. I'm enjoying your posts! Keep writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh oh, you are reading my blog. Heh, thank you for commenting to let me know you are reading. *dance for joy*

    ReplyDelete